Global Recycling Day was created in 2018 as a way of bringing awareness to the importance of recycling on a worldwide scale. Since 2018 Wales’s recycling rate has increased from 62.1% to 65.1% due to an increase in recycling awareness campaigns and ranks first in the UK for household waste recycling. Of course, this is great, but we can always do better to reduce our impact on the environment as an individual and a larger scale.
What you can do as an individual
As an individual, it may seem daunting to try and effect thing on a global scale, but your individual help will help in the grand scheme of things. By coming together as individuals we can make an effort to change the way we work as a society.
Some of the things we can do to help with our environmental impact are as follows;
- Looking into more sustainable brands and making sure that you are purchasing from companies that make a conscious effort to recycle and reduce their environmental impact
- Making sure that you are aware of your local recycling schemes and that you are following them correctly.
- Trying to reduce your volume of waste in the first place by using reusable shopping bags and avoiding single-use food and drink containers.
What you can do as a company
As an organisation, it may not be a priority to put effort into becoming more sustainable. But in the long run, it can really boost your image as a forward-thinking company that understands its Corporate Social Responsibility. By putting yourself out there as a sustainable company, you also encourage the culture of your workplace to become more sustainable.
Some of the changes you can implement around the office to reduce your impact are;
- Encouraging the use of recycling bins and advocating for less single-use plastic around the office
- Making sure that you are using suppliers that have a low impact on the environment
- Trying to reduce energy consumption by using sourcing more environmentally friendly tech and even considering switching to renewable energy sources.
Obviously, these aren’t the only thing that can be done to reduce your impact but they are just a few suggestions to help you get started.