About TDW Distribution
With 250 employees and from a base in Bridgend, TDW Distribution is an established family owned company with more than 50 years’ experience in the haulage sector. They are one of the largest carriers of palletised freight, distributing throughout the UK. In addition they offer comprehensive warehouse and logistic facilities.
Our remit as Effective HRM
- Full review TDW’s employment contracts and handbook and individuals’ contractual commitments.
- Provide strategic HR advice to Managing Director to ensure People Strategy supports the aims of the business
- Provide hands on support in all HR matters such as disciplinarians, grievances, redundancy consultations, sickness absence reviews
- As HRD at TDW Distribution, Gemma has focused on the implementation of a fully structured, consistent and transparent disciplinary process, which has led to low level issues such as failing to wear a seatbelt, uniform wearing, vehicle cleanliness and defect checking no longer being a problem.
- This has raised standards generally throughout the staff team and increased customer perception of service.
What difference have we made
- Gemma has upskilled line managers to be able to conduct investigations and disciplinary hearings, therefore acting on issues quickly and giving the middle managers a real sense of being developed within the business.
- The reduction in volume of issues has in turn enabled TDW to be more focused in the supervision of those members of staff whose performance is substandard.
- At TDW the strategy, which inevitably meant a period of ‘pain’ while low level misconduct issues were robustly and consistently tackled, has resulted in a positive effect on staff retention rates, as those drivers who are professional can see that the business is supporting them by creating a working environment which they want to be part of and can take pride in.
- It has also had a direct impact on the commercial success of the business with the professionalism of TDW drivers being a major contributing factor in TDW being awarded a contract as sole supplier to Dwr Cymru and continuing to be a key logistics partner to Tesco.
What the client has to say
“Since the commencement of our work with Gemma and her team, we have seen a significant and sustained improvement in our staff performance and retention.
Gemma has undertaken a consultant HRD role within the business and her insight and knowledge of HR best practice from other businesses and industries has enabled us to make significant strides in our HR strategy.
We have worked with Gemma on various projects particularly one which aimed to implement a fully structured, consistent and transparent disciplinary process which has led to raised standards generally throughout our staff team and increased customer perception of our service.”
Rob Williams – Managing Director – TDW Distribution